Friday, June 20, 2008

Growing up!

(# 119 - my oldest friend .Written for the Sunday scribbles)
Date:20th April
Somewhere over Indore.
Altitude:11500 metres.
.
This time around when i was leaving home for Pune, my parents came to the airport to see me off.The flight was for 2:30 pm and we reached there by like 1. We caught up for a last round of coffee at the terminal CCD. Such occasions are always a little uncomfortable. You know all us are sad, yet Dad checks out for another time if i am carrying the tickets or Maa is pleading me hard to carry the ghar ka paani in a wrethched two litre Fanta bottle! The rush of emotions in the hush of pretence! The clock strikes 1:45 and i think its appropriate now to say how wonderful it was for the last ten days being with them ( a little regretful for the petty fights i had with them on one occasion and hadnt quite talked to them for three full days! ). We all get up , pay the bill ,pick my handluggage and move towards the security checks.
Before the final glass door that separates the ticketers from the ticketless, i drop my luggage on the ground and look at them.Maa, moist eyed, Dad, looking somewhere else, Me , smiling ear to ear in concealment.I hug Maa, and say, she looks beautiful still. And suddenly dad pretends to understand, Oh boy, u moving? I say, take care dad.He places his hand on my shoulder and wishes happy journey.
.
I cross the glass barrier. Separated.
.
I walked a few confdent steps to the Kingfisher counter to get my boarding pass. As it was being processed, i looked back. I saw Maa and dad waving their hands in huge sailor arcs from behind the glass panes, probably saying Come Again.Maa smiling or crying i couldnt figure out; Dad, bored to show whatever it was,as usual.
.
I thought. This...was the couple. Who weathered each other for 27 long years, day and night, and then nights and days again,who never exchanged I-love-you s between them but still loved as much, who fought,fought themselves, fought for themselves, and fought for everything their children wanted these many years. They grow old now i see. My mother a little tinier, a little less beautiful, a few lesser teeth, a new bunch of grey on her head each time, and my dad, a little less robust, a few unmistakable wrinkles,and a little more worse with emotions!
.
Fifteen minutes to spare , i sit in the departure lounge surrounded by a sea of people waiting to get into their flights.
.
When i was growing up,one of my hugest fancies was to live an independant life, away from home, earn on my own and be the messiah son to my ageing parents.That day was here, but was nothing near or like the way i imagined it. It was a certain Ishaan Awaasthi kind of hollow thing, hardly explainable!
.
Soon my flight was announced and i realised i had only my handbaggage wit me and forgotten my laptop in the security check As i went back to collect it, through the corridors of the hallway, i saw Mom and Dad still there . Maa, her nose still stuck on to the glass panel, for a glimpse of probably nothing.Teary. Tired. Dad standing besides, and carrying her bag of tiffins and boiled water bottles around his shoulder, looking earnestly at the Kingfisher boards to read Departed. I clicked them in my mind.The moment that was, priceless!
.
I suddenly felt like rushing back in time, be dependant on them again, ask for pocket money ,have flanneled night suits, live by their rules, fight with them,and never grow up!A certain feeling of unreachableness crept in, a place few inches beyond my grasp. A squarefoot of vacuum. The price of growing up.

I rushed ahead for my flight and wrote this piece in mid air.Like my feelings, hung!

.

33 comments:

WhoAmI said...

"Growing Up" or "The Price of Growing Up" ? The hollow "Ishaan Awaasthi " feeling that we all have somewhere in our minds can hardly be put on paper. Good attempt buddy, a nice read.
And yes, i bet on this - if u had missed ur lappy there at security check, u might have got late to share this wonderful piece with us, but you would have added later 2 extra lines telling how worried ur mom was coz u lost that laptop. Mom's are hardly explainable.

Anonymous said...

well articulated...good read!

Surya, the Ayrus! said...

@prabir, what a lateral take on my writing!! nice re..
@anonymous,you can be a little more critical the next time on:)

Swati said...

Nice piece..reminds me of the day I left for US....My ma,the strongest lady on the planet earth,or rather pretends to be one...I have hardly seen her weep in front of me.. She controlled her tears till I was with her...I could see her eyes getting filled with tears,and she wiping them away with a smile on her face..When I finally went inside to complete the immigration formailities and board the plane...she broke down and wept uncontrollably..:(...and my dad had just one thing to say.'Chidiya ud gayi..'..... Very well written Surya..:)

Anonymous said...

hey surya read a nice blog after a long time.....this reminds me of the every trip to home when I was in NITT....and also the sickest feeling I had when I was leaving for the U.S.....dude u still continue to weave magic with ur words.....well put and extremely well written

Spectator said...

this reminded me the time when i left home after 12th... and reminds me all the times when i m leaving home... dood, u r hell close to family !!! so we all are !!!

shriram said...

I must be hopelessly anachronistic....who is Ishan Awasthi?:-)

shriram said...

I think I got it....that boy in TZP I suppose..?:-)I havent seen the movie..!:(

Anonymous said...

So very close to my heart..!!!
This is one of your best pieces i have read...simple words,effectively used to capture the innumerable feelings of such times.

-The Aesthete

Medusa said...

I realized this in one of our first weeks in NITT, that 'home-as it is' is never gonna be "home-as it is" again! You ve beautifully captured the subtle display of some strong emotions (like Dad pretending to be bored!) ... good job! :-)

Srini Iyer said...

Sorry!! I do not have a suitable comment to match the writing. Reminds me of instances of departure when each of us (me and parents) are looking anywhere but at each other to conceal feelings.Alas men will be men.

Gulshan said...

Arguably, one of your best piece i have come across.. My fav genre, senti types :-)

aastha-inks said...

hey.. i used to feel really low when at the airport, makin my trip from blore to pune.. waving off my parents good bye.. invariably after security check n in the loneliness of the crowd at the waiting area.. tears rolled down my cheeks. the scence of my parents at the airport gate wld bother me for quite sometime.. i have no clue how strong i got to b while takin my flight to the USA.. well written piece.. !

aastha-inks said...

n yeah swati s mom cried a lot.. n i had to keep her spirits high!! it was really a tough task!! coz i myself felt quite miserable!!

Nupur said...

Wow!! One of the most well written blogs I've read in some time!! The way you wrote about your parents was so beautiful... I'm sure they'd be proud of you on reading it!

Princess Selene said...

:)
we all grow up...
but the feeling of being dependant is so great..

Princess Selene said...

:)
thanks

Shanky said...

I am jealous!

Surya, the Ayrus! said...

@shanky, of???

Anne said...

This piece brought tears in me:))

Anonymous said...

mujhe ghar jaana hain :(

Mrinal said...

Amazing work..The best one of yours I have read till date. Articulate and sensitive, it has all the elements of a sophisticated work and the best part is the way you portrayed the feelings. Came back after a long time only to find a masterpiece. You should be publishing your pieces.

Anonymous said...

Suraj,
This is the first blog of yours that I have read ..and I must say I suffered from goosebumps for a couple of minutes. Felt like you have written my story.. Excellent piece of work! I have bookmarked your blogspot now, would be visiting regularly!!!

Anonymous said...

So movingly written. What a wrench it must have been for. A beautifully written piece which I am glad I read.

Anonymous said...

A gem of a story... however much we value independent adulthood, I think we all know that sense of wanting to be taken care of every now and again!

Lilibeth said...

So well written and full of feelings..theirs, yours--Your dad covering up emotion with activity; your mom with her face against the glass, trying not to let you see how much it hurts to let you go because they know you need your independence to be healthy and whole. I'm there right now...from the mom end of things and I'm touched by your writing. This is great.

Gemma Wiseman said...

A powerful piece of writing! And just when there is a feeling that sentimentality could be verging on being overworked, you toss in that idea of "hung"! A master shot!

Tammie Lee said...

You transported me to another place, the place this story took place. I think this is a sign of a wonderful tale.

You also inspired feelings around my parents, tender and not.

by the way I love your blog's banner!
Great picture.

LA Nickers said...

Bittersweet and poignant!
Blessings,
Linda
INTEGRITY, at NICKERS AND INK

Anonymous said...

Very beautifully written. Lump in my throat. Amazing piece of writing!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm ,, tht was nice Surya. Keep it up. Do visit ur family much more and more over call u mother daily.

Unknown said...

Hmmmm ,, tht was nice Surya. Keep it up. Do visit ur family much more and more over call u mother daily.

Noyon Jyoti Parasara said...

dude... this is not just good... it's priceless...
everything comes across so clear... almost getting tears to eyes...

you are a brilliant writer and i think you should get more serious with writing